Risperdal Consta® is a long-acting injectable formulation of risperidone, a second-generation (“atypical”) antipsychotic. Here is basic information about this medication.
- Monotherapy for the maintenance treatment of Bipolar I Disorder
- Adjunctive therapy to lithium or valproate for the maintenance treatment of Bipolar I Disorder.
- Requires refrigeration
- Administered every 2 weeks rather than every month
The recommended dose for the treatment of schizophrenia is 25 mg IM every 2 weeks.
The maximum dose is 50 mg IM every 2 weeks.
Dosage forms available (USA)
Vial kits: 12.5 mg, 25 mg, 37.5 mg, and 50 mg
The kit includes:
- A vial containing the risperidone microspheres
- A pre-filled syringe containing 2 mL of diluent
- A SmartSite® Needle-Free Vial Access Device
- Two Needle-Pro® safety needles for intramuscular injection (a 21 G UTW 1-inch needle with needle protection device for deltoid administration and a 20 G TW 2-inch needle with needle protection device for gluteal administration).
It is extremely important that prescriber’s review the full prescribing information before prescribing risperidone long-acting (Risperdal Consta®)
Copyright 2015, Rajnish Mago, MD. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced in any form without express written permission.
Disclaimer: The content on this website is provided as general education for medical professionals. It is not intended or recommended for patients or other laypersons, or as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Patients must always consult a qualified health care professional regarding their diagnosis and treatment. Healthcare professionals should always check this website for the most recently updated information.