Risperdal Consta® is a long-acting injectable formulation of risperidone, a second-generation (“atypical”) antipsychotic. Here is basic information about this medication.
- Monotherapy for the maintenance treatment of Bipolar I Disorder
- Adjunctive therapy to lithium or valproate for the maintenance treatment of Bipolar I Disorder.
- Requires refrigeration
- Administered every 2 weeks rather than every month
The recommended dose for the treatment of schizophrenia is 25 mg IM every 2 weeks.
The maximum dose is 50 mg IM every 2 weeks.
Dosage forms available (USA)
Vial kits: 12.5 mg, 25 mg, 37.5 mg, and 50 mg
The kit includes:
- A vial containing the risperidone microspheres
- A pre-filled syringe containing 2 mL of diluent
- A SmartSite® Needle-Free Vial Access Device
- Two Needle-Pro® safety needles for intramuscular injection (a 21 G UTW 1-inch needle with needle protection device for deltoid administration and a 20 G TW 2-inch needle with needle protection device for gluteal administration).
Important! Please refer to the full Prescribing Information (see link below) before prescribing this medication.
Copyright 2015, Rajnish Mago, MD. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced in any form without express written permission.
Disclaimer: The content on this website is provided as general education for medical professionals. It is not intended or recommended for patients or other laypersons, or as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Patients must always consult a qualified health care professional regarding their diagnosis and treatment. Healthcare professionals should always check this website for the most recently updated information.