Orlistat (US brand name Xenical®) is a reversible inhibitor of gastrolipases. Here is basic information about this medication.
- Obesity management including weight loss and weight maintenance when used in conjunction with a reduced-calorie diet
- Reduce the risk for weight regain after prior weight loss
One 120-mg capsule three times a day orally with each main meal containing fat (during or up to 1 hour after the meal)
- Advise patients to take a nutritionally balanced, reduced-calorie diet that contains approximately 30% of calories from fat
- Distribute the daily intake of fat, carbohydrate, and protein over three main meals
- Advise patients to take a multivitamin containing fat-soluble vitamins to ensure adequate nutrition
- Take the vitamin supplement at least 2 hours before or after the administration of orlistat, such as at bedtime
- For patients receiving both orlistat and cyclosporine therapy, administer cyclosporine 3 hours after orlistat
- For patients receiving both orlistat and levothyroxine therapy, administer levothyroxine and orlistat at least 4 hours apart
Pregnant women: Contraindicated
Dosage forms and strengths
Capsules: 120 mg
Please refer to Prescribing Information (see link below) for complete discussion of dosage, administration, warnings and precautions, contraindications, etc.
Copyright 2016, Rajnish Mago, MD. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced in any form without express written permission.
Disclaimer: The content on this website is provided as general education for medical professionals. It is not intended or recommended for patients or other laypersons, or as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Patients must always consult a qualified health care professional regarding their diagnosis and treatment. Healthcare professionals should always check this website for the most recently updated information.