1. Suicide is among the top 10 causes of death in the US (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2018).
2. For adolescents and young adults (10- to 34-year-olds), it is the second most common cause of death (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2018).
3. Of the 10 top causes of death, death from suicide did NOT decrease over the last many years (from 2005 to 2017) even though it decreased for ALL the other nine.
4. Instead, the suicide rate in the US has INCREASED nearly 30% since 1999 (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
5. Over 48,000 people died by suicide in the US in 2018, up from about 41,000 in 2013.
Over 48,000 deaths by suicide each year in the USA. What do you think needs to be done?
Please post your comments at the bottom of this page (under “Leave a Reply”)
Last updated September 2020
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ten leading causes of injury and death.
Swanson JW, Bonnie RJ, Appelbaum PS. Getting Serious About Reducing Suicide: More “How” and Less “Why”. JAMA. 2015 Dec 1;314(21):2229-2230. PubMed PMID: 26524461.
Copyright 2016 to 2020, Simple and Practical Medical Education, LLC. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced in any form without express written permission.
Disclaimer: The content on this website is provided as general education for medical professionals. It is not intended or recommended for patients or other laypersons or as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Patients must always consult a qualified health care professional regarding their diagnosis and treatment. Healthcare professionals should always check this website for the most recently updated information.