Here are some general strategies that may help a person to cope with stress:
1. Be aware that you are going through a stressful period. Tell yourself that it is OK for things to not be perfectly fine during this difficult period.
2. Remind yourself that this stress will be over in 2 weeks, 4 weeks, or whatever, and life will go back to normal.
3. Suppression: take a conscious decision to put everything else on the back burner till the stressful period is over. You should only worry about one thing at one time.
4. Pamper yourself. During the stressful period, be extra nice to yourself in every way.
5. Talk about it. Just talking to friends and family on the phone or in person can help a person to deal with stress.
6. Write it down. Writing down on paper what you are worried about can help a person to see that the stress is manageable.
7. Do what works. Think back to your past–what helped you when you were going through a stressful period?
8. Ask for help. Don’t be shy about asking friends and family for help during the stressful period.
9. Exercise: it can help in enduring stress.
10. Make sure you get enough sleep
Copyright 2016, Rajnish Mago, MD. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced in any form without express written permission.
Disclaimer: The content on this website is provided as general education for medical professionals. It is not intended or recommended for patients or other laypersons, or as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Patients must always consult a qualified health care professional regarding their diagnosis and treatment. Healthcare professionals should always check this website for the most recently updated information.